Crunches, sit-ups, planks…we have all heard of them before!
Sure, they are effective, but if you use weights for your shoulders, chest, biceps, triceps etc…then why not on your abs?
If you want true definition and if you really want to your abs to pop out then try these weighted ab exercises… (don’t forget that most importantly, ab definition is the result of a very clean diet!)
Kneeling Cable Crunch:
- Draw your belly-button inwards to engage the transverse abdomens
- Move the cable with your body (do not move it with just your arms)
- Curl and uncurl the trunk on the way down and the way up to make one repetition
DO NOT make these mistakes:
- Move the elbows outwards during the movement
- Use only your momentum to bring the cable down- engage the core
- Keep your feet flat on the floor (or in the air for more advanced)
- Keep back flat and position yourself so your tailbone is just resting on the floor
- Hold medicine ball to chest and twist from side to side, then return to centre
DO NOT Make these Mistakes:
- Curl your back forwards or tuck your chin into your body
- Sway your entire body laterally when twisting
- Place medicine ball between ankles
- Lie on back and lift legs 90 degrees
DO NOT Make These Mistakes:
- Do not lift your hips
- Do not curve your lumbar (lower) spine (your rib cage should not be sticking up and out)
- Do not touch your feet to the ground
Give these a shot next time you’re in the gym… and why don’t you try some protein sludge after your workout?!